The Director of Children and Teen Ministries has the primary responsibility for continuing and expanding programs for children and teens from birth through 18 years of age (nursery through high school) with the assistance of the CAT Ministry Team and lay leaders. This position receives supervision from the pastor.
Experience with children and teens is necessary in an area related to theology or education. Three years of experience in coordinating children and teen programs and/or possession of an educational background with an emphasis on working with children and teens is preferred. A college degree with an emphasis in elementary or secondary education is desirable. Must possess a current, valid California driver’s license and current automobile insurance.
· Must demonstrate a strong desire and ability to work with children and teens.
· Must relate well with all age groups.
· Must possess a good knowledge of the Bible and the teachings and doctrine of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
· Must exhibit personal faith through regular worship and participation in a church community.
· Must be able to work well with adult volunteers and to delegate tasks and projects effectively.
· Must demonstrate a high level of enthusiasm and energy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Oversee Sunday school programs, including recruiting and training Sunday school teachers; reviewing and ordering curriculum; planning and recruiting volunteers for Vacation Bible School; and coordinating other key events, including outreach opportunities.
· Oversee the confirmation program with assistance from volunteers and/or staff.
· Work with the pastor to recruit and train confirmation teachers.
· Work with teachers to plan and coordinate confirmation activities and provide additional service and fellowship opportunities for middle school students, including service projects, middle school youth gatherings, and confirmation camp.
· Oversee the high school program with assistance from volunteers and/or staff.
· Empower and work with the Senior High Youth Leader and student leaders.
· Plan, publicize, and attend a one-week minimum summer trip (youth gathering) or mission trip and implement fund-raising activities to support this event.
· Encourage children and teens toward spiritual growth; love for God and one another; and service to the church, community, and world.
· Pray for the youth and their families.
· Build relationships with children and teens participating in the program.
· Supervise the High School Youth Leader and the Child Care Provider.
· Ensure effective communication and coordination to and between volunteers and staff involved in children and teen ministries.
· Coordinate with the pastor and volunteers to encourage children and teen participation in worship activities.
· Ensure that all volunteers are trained in the policies and procedures outlined in Mt. Carmel’s safeguarding policy; coordinate with the Parish Administrator to conduct background checks as required.
· Submit articles to the Parish Administrator for publication in the various media of the congregation.
· Attend CAT team meetings, develop agendas, and provide information and recommendations.
· Attend meetings of the Congregational Council as necessary.
· Attend scheduled staff meetings.
SALARY: This is a salaried, full-time position of 40 hours/week. Starting salary is based upon qualifications and experience and ranges from $35,100 to $42,000.Benefits include sick leave and vacation.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com