JOB SUMMARY: Maintain the financial records for the Southwest California Synod and other auxiliary entities as required.
STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt, Position is coterminous with the current Bishop.
SALARY RANGE: $60,000 – $65,000
RESPONSIBLE TO: Reports to Chief of Staff
Responsible to and in consultation with the Synod Treasurer
Financial Recordkeeping, Reporting, & Oversight
- Fiscal agent for the synod, responsible for all income, expense, accounts payable, accounts receivable and general ledger activities, including billing and reporting for Region 2 Archives.
- Record, post and distribute income (mission support, designated funds, other income); track congregational giving providing quarterly reports to Synod Senior Staff, Synod Executive Committee and to Conference Deans.
- Record and track monthly credit card payments and ACH online contributions.
- Prepare and distribute monthly Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Synodical Remittance Advice and provide quarterly reporting (Synod balance sheet, Profit and Loss, Cash Flow, and Budget vs Actual) and reconciliations as requested for Office of the Bishop, Property, congregations under Synodical Administration or new Start ministries. Prepare quarterly Mission Support reports for conference deans and congregations.
- Receive, prepare and administer funding and maintain follow up records for all Churchwide and Synod grants. Determine funding for Synod grants according to the direction provided by the Synod Constitution.
- Administration of Synod grant funding calculations and distribution.
- Update the Rostered Leaders Compensation Guidelines/Worksheets annually.
- Reconciliation of all bank and investment accounts; monitor investments.
- Preparation of separate monthly financial reports for all General and ethnic specific ministries.
- Coordinate with synod-owned property managers to secure approval of, track and record Synod-owned property income and expenses. Property management will not be part of this position.
- Record and track payroll costs; prepare reports for annual Worker’s Compensation audit.
- Prepare, distribute funding, and maintain follow-up records for all Churchwide and Synod grants. Administration of Synod grant funding calculations and distribution.
- Review Synod insurance policies and complete annual insurance reports for timely renewal.
- Aid in preparation of annual State Corporation, County Property Tax, and Welfare Exemption reports for all properties owned or managed by the Synod office.
- Provide financial reports and data for Pre-Assembly notebooks, Bishop’s Gatherings, Budget and Finance Committee, Synod Executive, and Synod Council meetings as requested.
- Attend Finance Committee meetings.
- Provide input and data for annual budget development with Budget and Finance Committee and Synod Council Treasurer.
- Prepare Data, Investigation and Analysis as requested.
Congregational Relations & Training
- Preparation and distribution of congregation contribution reports and annual mission support acknowledgement certificates.
- Serve as a resource for congregational treasurer and administrator financial inquiries.
- Plan, coordinate, assemble resources for and present annual Financial Workshops.
- Assemble financial records for annual audit with outside CPA firm.
- Preparation of additional summary reports (congregational giving, payroll) for annual audit.
- Be present and available for on-site portion of annual audit.
- Synod Assembly duties as assigned – typically in the areas of registration and finance.
- Other duties as assigned.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS DESIRED:
College degree in accounting or finance and/or 5 plus years in experience in church/non-profit fund accounting/bookkeeping is preferred. Proficient in QuickBooks, Excel and have basic computer skills. High accuracy with numbers and strict adherence to control and accounting procedures. Ability to work in a small office environment and with volunteers. A high-energy individual with the ability to multi-task and handle distractions and interruptions. Must be able to effectively, professionally, and work positively with staff and volunteers from Congregational, Synodical and the Churchwide expressions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
On the job training provided; continuing education opportunities as available and needed.
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org