JOB DESCRIPTION FOR DIRECTOR OF MUSIC MINISTRIES
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
1700 North Towne Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Claremont, California, is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We are a family-sized, multi-generational congregation, with approximately 100 worshippers each Sunday. Currently, we have one blended worship service that starts at 9:30 AM. The blended service consists of praise band, soloists/cantor for hymns and organ music. Eventually we hope that our choir, bell choir and children’s choir can be restarted.
We are currently looking for a Director of Music Ministries to enhance our worship experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Under the direction of the Pastor, select and provide all music for weekly blended Sunday services, plus church seasonal services such as Christmas Eve and Day, Easter, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Lenten services, and special occasions such as funerals and weddings.
2. Recruit and manage paid musicians for praise band (guitarist/percussion) and piano/organ.
3. Provide leadership to all musicians participating in the program; directing/leading the praise band, soloists/cantor and contract instrumental musicians.
4. Make available new resources and ideas for music programming such as community concerts, music opportunities for all ages.
5. Attend monthly Music and Worship Committee and occasional council meetings.
6. Participate with the church staff, Pastor and other leaders in facilitating congregational goals, assuming responsibility for tasks as mutually agreed upon with the Pastor.
Skills and Qualifications:
1. Broad knowledge of church music styles (classical, contemporary, folk, and gospel) and the role of music in Lutheran worship, matching music with the themes of the church year.
2. Familiarity with or willingness to learn basic Lutheran theology and liturgical practice.
3. Ability to sing and play with accurate pitch and rhythm.
4. Preferred competency in playing piano or organ.
5. Must be able to lead hymns, praise songs, liturgy, and anthem accompaniments.
6. Experience and competency directing choirs and praise band with a range of skills and experience.
7. Ability to work well with others and participate collegially with staff members, Pastor, and congregational leaders.
Resumé, cover letter and references should be submitted to Good Shepherd at the above address or email@example.com.
This is a part-time position (20 hours/week) – payment is competitive based on experience and ability.