California Lutheran University invites applications and nominations for the position of University Pastor. Cal Lutheran is a forward-facing, private liberal arts and sciences, faith based institution in the mid-21st century. As a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), we are searching for candidates with a demonstrated commitment to and success working in diverse multi-religious, multi-cultural and multi-racial communities.
The University Pastor will provide spiritual leadership and pastoral care for the whole of the University, develop faith formation programs for students, participate in interfaith engagement, promote spiritual wellness and faithful worship of God among a diverse and changing student body, assess the spiritual needs of the university and formulate directions for the future, assist the University in identifying student needs, especially in underrepresented students, and in bringing the resources of the institution to address those needs. Rooted in a Lutheran understanding of word and sacrament, the University Pastor will be expected to communicate Cal Lutheran’s mission, identity, and values while graciously reaching across multiple faith communities.
The successful candidate will have:
● Demonstrated skills in young adult emerging ministries and faith formation;
● Understanding of the impact of trauma related to spiritual and emotional wellness and an ability to respond with compassion and competency;
● Provide a ministry of presence within public space ministry;
● Direct experience in ministry among ethnic-specific communities of faith;
● Experience directing and coaching a ministry team;
● A commitment to religious pluralism, leadership development among underrepresented communities, support for LGTBQ+ communities, interfaith engagement, and cross-cultural community development;
● Experience as a minister in a congregational setting or leadership in campus ministry in higher education;
● Grounding in their own theological tradition and knowledge about and awareness of the Lutheran theological tradition;
● An understanding of the trends and currents affecting today’s communities of faith;
● Dedication to diversity, equity, inclusion, and cultural proficiency;
● Creativity and innovation in designing worship;
● A desire to work with and across institutional partners and offices; and be a
● Rostered leader in good standing within the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) or its equivalent in a Full Communion Partner church: Presbyterian Church (USA), Reformed Church in America, United Church of Christ, The Episcopal Church, The Moravian Church, and United Methodist Church.
● Completion of a Rostered Minister Profile submitted to the ELCA. All inquiries, nominations, and applications will be shared with the Bishop of the Southwest California Synod and will otherwise be held in strictest confidence.
We look forward to reading applications from interested persons. Applicants may apply on-line at https://careers.callutheran.edu/postings/8691.
Review of nominations and applications will begin immediately, and nominations and expressions of interest will be welcomed until the position is closed. The appointee is expected to take office in the summer of 2022, no later than July 1. Applications received by March 15, 2022 will be assured of full consideration; these should include a cover letter of interest that specifically addresses how one meets the qualifications of the position and is prepared to support of mission of Cal Lutheran. With the cover letter, please submit a resume or vitae, and names of five professional references with e-mail addresses and telephone numbers.
Applicants will be asked to answer the following questions as they apply:
1. Please describe your vision for Campus Ministry at California Lutheran University and your experience, skills, and practices that would assist you in serving that vision.
2. Please describe a cultural shift you assisted a community of faith to navigate.
3. How would you use the university’s Lutheran identity and values to support your diversity, equity, and inclusion work at Cal Lutheran? Attached is a guiding document to provide additional context titled “Rooted and Open: The Common Calling of the Network of ELCA Colleges and Universities” Rooted and Open
To learn more about the search or to nominate a candidate for consideration, please contact Rev. Melissa Maxwell-Doherty at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 805-493-3330 with the candidate’s name and contact information.