Olivet Lutheran Church-Hawthorne is seeking a Church Secretary for an active church office, with a multi-staff setting. Under the administration of the Senior Pastor the church secretary will offer clerical support to pastors, deacons, and staff in the church’s administrative offices and requires a strong attention to detail, the capability to communicate well with members and visitors, while maintaining superior organization.
The individual in this position is not expected to provide counseling or spiritual discipleship services within the context of their employment. The Church Executive Administrator must feel an innate calling to serve the ministry through providing administrative support to the Pastor, Church Council and the Church Body.
Position Title: Church Executive Administrator
Hours: Typically 15 per week (3 days a week/occasional Sundays for special events). Position requires in-person hours (Days/Hours tbd upon employment, typically Tues-Thurs from 9am-2pm)
Pay Rate: $15.00 per hour ($900 monthly).
• Should have a personal and consistent relationship with Jesus Christ and represent not only Olivet Lutheran Church, but Jesus Christ Himself and be committed to serving God and the Body of Christ.
• Should be willing to represent Olivet Lutheran Church and uphold and carry out the church mission through this position and show forth a genuine love and concern for all people at all times.
• Should be a consistent and active member of a local Christian church and show a willing attitude of Christian service to this position and its responsibility.
• Should possess good telephone and communication skills and demonstrate the ability to clearly and effectively communicate information in a pleasant manner while maintaining confidentiality.
• Should be dependable, a great time manager and be very organized.
• Should have general knowledge of all office equipment, including faxing, digital sending, and copying.
• Should be computer literate and software knowledgeable. Being familiar with word processing and financial software, including Word, Excel, WordPress, Publisher, Quicken, Outlook, and Adobe. Canva experience preferred.
• Should be able to positively interact with various types of personalities, both on the phone and in person, in a professional manner.
• Answers the main office telephone numbers for incoming business calls, and redirects calls to the requested and/or appropriate party.
• Should have the ability to answers the main office telephone numbers for incoming business calls, and redirects calls to the requested and/or appropriate party.
• Should be able to processes documents according to an established procedure and check documents for accuracy and completeness.
• Should use keyboarding skills to type various forms and other business documents.
• Should be able to think creatively, for purposes of updating the website and other widely distributed church materials.
• Should be able to manage calendars and set appointments using Outlook.
• Should be able to maintains paper stock in network printers, copiers, and fax machines.
• Should be able to maintain the congregational directory, along with weekly attendance.
• Project management experience to coordinate special events and assisting with securing grant opportunities.
• Answer the phone and screen calls for staff per their direction. Check voicemail and daily mail.
• Welcome visitors, address their questions, refer them to pastors or staff member when necessary.
• Keep church staff informed of member needs such as weddings, baptisms, funerals, and other events that require the use of church facilities.
• Assist in planning church events.
• Perform general office work; maintain supplies and various files; keep records and compile these into periodic or occasional reports.Accuracy and attention to detail is a must.
• File sermons, reports, correspondence and other assigned materials.
• Maintain church records.
• Exercise tact, courtesy, confidentiality and diplomacy in receiving callers, in person or by telephone; keep calendar of appointments.
• Transcribe dictation and prepare routine letters or other documents as needed.
• Edit and prepare weekly bulletins and other documents as requested.
• Make outgoing calls such as ordering materials or supplies; pick up supplies as needed.
• Perform a wide range of general office work, under the supervision of the Pastor and cooperation with the other staff.
• Also acts as liaison between the member’s and the church’s administrative branch and other duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma required, Associate’s Degree or higher preferred.
• Basic accounting/bookkeeping procedures/Social Media Management/Website Management/Zoom proficient
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite and the ability to work with graphics.
Please submit resumes and all inquiries about the position to: email@example.com
*All offers of employment contingent upon passing background check.